Wednesday, August 30, 2017

My first post - Day 11

I haven't had a glass (aka bottle) of wine in 11 days. 

I've been Pinteresting quotes and articles on sobriety and reading lots of great blogs from women who have strikingly similar thoughts and experiences to mine.  Who knew that support was out there for someone like me?  It's a comfort.  I've especially liked Unpickled, Hip Sobriety, and Tired of Thinking About Drinking blogs.

So, who am I and how did I get here?

I am a 44 year old wife and mom.  I am college-educated, I have a full time job I love, I live in a nice suburban house in the south.  I grew up in, and still have, a wonderful family.  I have amazing friends, I am faith-filled, I am newly married to a wonderful husband and have a beautiful blended family of seven kids.  I try to eat healthy, stay fit, and keep all the balls of my life in the air.

What a pretty picture, right?!

I am also four years post divorce from a difficult 18 year marriage.  I was a suburban, stay at home mom of four kids until my divorce.  I found myself alone in an apartment with them as a broken and scared single mom with a new full time job which barely kept the rent/utilities paid, groceries in the cupboard and gas in the car.  I thought I might die of daily pain, fear and failure.

I think that is where this journey began.  It is where my casual enjoyment of a glass of wine or two with friends turned into my almost daily coping strategy and escape from all the hard.

Now here I am.  Two weeks ago after a "Wine Wednesday" bender, I woke to some strong realizations that I needed to get real, self-evaluate, and get a grip on my drinking.  This had been building for a long while but I just didn't want to look at it, to face the reality of how I had lost control of my "casual" drinking and how it was now controlling me. 

A couple days later I chose again to drink on Saturday night with friends.  I "thought" I did "better", drank "less", was more "aware and responsible" with my intake.  Whatever.

That Saturday evening was my last drink and I've been diving into reading and learning and self-evaluating and staying alcohol free (aka sober) the past 11 days.

The first week, last week, was BRUTAL.  Can anyone relate?  I was sad, angry, irritable, short-tempered, unmotivated every.single.day.  I felt worse every morning waking sober than I did after drinking a bottle the night before.  Only my husband and my very best friend knew (know) what I was (am) trying to do. 

I'm pretty sure my husband almost bought me a box of wine to set on my nightstand last week.  He asked me one night "Where's my [girl]?  When is she coming back?"  and I just said, "I don't know.  She drinks."  and he said "She doesn't have to."

It was bad, people.  I couldn't stand myself and no one else could either.

Then finally day 10 yesterday, I woke with some color in my face and clear vision.  My husband and I were able to hash out the ugly week we'd just had, and get back on the same page again. 

I still want a cold glass of chardonnay (fine, a bottle) every single day after work.  I want my husband to take me out for an icy topped dirty martini with blue cheese stuffed olives.  I want to believe that I will get to sip a glass or two of wine on my back porch again and be satisfied, or enjoy a martini out with friends.  I feel scared that this may never be true for me or a good idea to tempt.

And that makes me sad.

Day 11 today.  Will you journey with me?  I would love the support and encouragement of those who know, who have been there, who "get" it.

Thanks for reading.

xo

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to your new blogging world!!
    I am so glad you reached out!
    I'm on my phone so can't leave a long response, but happy Day 11!
    Support and accountability are really important to me keeping sober!
    Life is much more fun...takes time, though.
    My hubs and I are much closer!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by to offer support, it is much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. I'm on day 18 and loving my sobriety. I go every day to an AA meeting and that is the only thing that is getting my through this so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and congratulations on 18 days! What are you finding works to replace the alcohol as a coping strategy? I'm finding myself feeling hyper and fidgety after a long day and wine always relaxed and calmed me. Now I don't know what to do when I'm tired and just want to sit and stare to relax with a glass (bottle) of wine. I think I need to look into some breathing and stretching techniques or something. Thanks again for checking in.

      Delete
    2. Breathing really helps me... my yoga practice was also so important to me.
      I learned to like tea at night. I read. Some people find coloring at night helps, or drawing. One friend found beading helped her.
      xo
      Wendy

      Delete
    3. Thank you for those suggestions! I'm enjoying sipping fresh grapefruit juice with LaCroix, and I can totally see myself enjoying an adult coloring book with a fresh box of crayons. :-) I have never done yoga, but I do like to stretch and breath so I will be looking into some kind of routine for that, too. Thanks so much for your time.

      Delete
  3. WELL DONE, I WISH I COULD STOP I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT FOR MONTHS BUT ONLY GET PAST 3 DAYS. GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can stop, you can. It's a one day, one moment at a time decision. I still don't know what I'm doing and can't look beyond today but here I am, day 14.

      Delete
    2. thank you so much for your kind words, ive spoken to my husband about how I feel and how I need help he is doing a 30 day challenge with me it will be so much easier if he doesn't drink as well. my first day starts tomorrow !!!! so excited

      Delete
  4. There is a lot of grieving to be done in early sobriety, change is scary and hard...but no one ever looks back and wishes they had drubken their life away. No one.

    Do you have a therapist? Have you looked up AA or smart recovery? It's worth building your resources. Make things simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for saying that....that is what it feels like---grieving. I have not gone to therapy...not even after my divorce. I spent so many years in individual and marriage therapy in my first marriage that I was over it. It feels overwhelming and exhausting to try to explain to a stranger who I am and all I've been through. Still trying to figure out what sober "tools" to put in my toolbox. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete